Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Reading Review - December

This is new - I'm not committing, just trying it out.

I read a lot; my major in college was chosen mostly because an English major is allowed and encouraged to read everything. I'm paying BYU for the privilege of being graded on reading and erudition and I love it.


The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Sometimes hard to read, forced me to learn about pre-"operation freedom" Afghanistan. I am so, so lucky.

Atonement by Ian McEwan
Probably better than the film. Beatiful language and style.

Hypocrite in a Poufy White Dress by Susan Jane Gilman
Cover art is young girl in sparkly princess dress and black combat boots. Really, really funny.

Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Allows me to apply my knowledge of American Romanticism and criticism. Should be given a chance.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Coming-of-age story that is well written. Also, you will learn a lot about bees.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Vaguely related to Will Smith blockbuster. Biowarfare is unnerving and I hope to avoid it. Unlike most, I liked the ending.

The Plague by Albert Camus
Took three months to finish, longer than Moby Dick even. Original in French - maybe I would like it more as a first edition.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
No excuse exists for not reading this book. The best (of the shorts) of Hemingway, should be used as a lead into the entire library.

Time's Arrow by Martin Amis
The most original premise and style I've come across in a long time, the story reads backwards from conclusion to introduction. Takes some time, but is worth the effort.

The Witches by Roald Dahl
I love this. It is simple and morbid and wonderful.

The How To Herb Book by Velma Keith and Monteen Gordon
Read in an hour or so, will probably be helpful if I'm ever poisoned outside the realm of modern medicine or decide to give herbal veganism a try.

Even As I Am by Neal A. Maxwell
This book deserves the effort of complete sentences. I took this from a bookcase at my parents house while I was writing a talk for Sacrament meeting earlier in the month. Elder Maxwell was always way above my head as a kid, but I've come to appreciate his discourse as my favorite both in style intellectual vivication. 'Even As I Am' refers to our progression towards a higher standard and draws heavily from the scriptures as well as human tendencies that Elder Maxwell recognizes as being decisive to both our divinity and decline. Although it is currently out of print, I would recommend that anyone find a copy and dedicate some time to studying - I now consider this to be a crucial text in my collective religious literature.




2 comments:

Torrey said...

Woah Lani!! I can't believe you have read all of those recently. Please keep up this tradition. I need someone to tell me which books are worth reading since I already read so infrequently. :)

Sara said...

So, I too loved the ending to I am Legend. I really wish that I'd have read it after I'd seen the movie and not before, because the movie is just a little lame in the story line if you know the way the book goes- I love an intense paradigm shift like that.
And atonement literally knocked me on my ass for a few days- amazing. I love how everyone suffers, you know? It might sound awful and mean, but I loved how I couldn't hate or resent Briony because she suffers for decades. There's something kind of beautiful about humans trying desperately to make something right that is ultimately futile.
(I'm in the airport and I think someone just threw up. GROSS!)
And I think that Hemmingway should be read like this:
-The Sun Also Rises
-For Whom the Bell Tolls
-The Old Man and the Sea
I think in this way you can see how Hemmingway himself changes- its kind of fascinating to see the subtle changes in his characters- what they live for and what they sacrifice for) But I think you are right, a great introduction to Hemmingway- have you delved into The Nick Adams stories? I love them.
Try out Cormac McCarthy. I think you'd fall in love.