Once when I was a child my mom and aunt (to the best of my recollection, I was a small child after all) took me on a 'fieldtrip' to Wheeler Farm. When you've spent your growing years in a super-suburban city where it is a rarity to see cattle, sheep, horses and the like it is exciting and somehow enticing to spend time not only near but in a chicken coop. Also to touch a cow on the nose through a fence and practically declare yourself a cowgirl at the experience.
But I digress.
The fact of the matter is that I was spending some quality "down-home country" time and was wandering and in particular, following a goose that stood as tall as my shoulder at the time. Unlike Sara I don't have a particular fear or dislike for birds and actually find them interesting, a truth that would later surface in preschool when I would be scolded for chasing/harassing a duck. Just because I could. Somehow as I was wondering a field or meadow or something I came in contact with a very large goose (maybe it was tiny, I was only a child!) that instead of getting out of my way decided that it would be a jerk and bite me instead. Only it wasn't a normal animal-type bite where the thing takes a quick nip and then back away, it was bite to my earlobe that just never ended; the dumb thing took grasp and wouldn't let go. Imagine me as a 2.5 foot tall kid, hunched over like Estelle from the Golden Girls, and weighed down by a possessed goose hanging on for dear life to my head. And let that be the image that comes to your mind as you stand to give a talk in sacrament meeting, because that's what happens to me every time.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lani you make me laugh! so funny.
I'm ruined. How can you not be afraid of devil birds with experiences like that? HOW? You are in short, amazing.
Get yourself out here.
Lani, you are incredible. That has always been one of my favorite of your stories. Thank you for writing it down for posterity, or at least for me to read. A glorious read. And perhaps my fear of farm animals in general has come down from this story you shared during our times together in junior high. :) You have affected my life, that's what I'm trying to say.
Post a Comment