My friend Torrey made me the nicest CD of Christmas music this week and I've been thinking about my favorite holiday songs. I'll have to take the time to compile a list and then make sure that I have all of the wonderful favorites in one place, but I know right away which songs I DON"T like. The number one on this list has got to be the 'Christmas Shoes' song made famous (infamous?) by Michael Bolton. I know, Michael. Bolton. I was reading some funny stuff by the great Eric D. Snider when I stumbled upon this lovely bit:
"While we're on the subject of songs that are supposed to make you cry whose doctrine I find questionable, there's the recent sappy, crappy country hit "Christmas Shoes" (not to be confused with "Live Like You Were Dyin'," "Already There," or any of the other sappy, crappy country hits that are produced at the rate of one song per week). It's about a guy standing in line in a store at Christmastime, and this filthy urchin in front of him is buying a pair of women's shoes, which he declares to be for his mother:
"Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight"
Because, what, Jesus can't abide a barefoot woman? Or a woman who has shoes on that aren't beautiful? And who says Mama will be wearing shoes when she gets to heaven anyway? I believe the old saying is, "You can't take it with you." Does that not apply to shoes? Is there supposed to be an asterisk next to it?
You can't take it with you.*
*(except shoes)
Anyway, the kid in the song winds up getting the singer to buy him the shoes, because of course he's too poor to pay for them himself. I picture him thanking the man profusely, then hurrying out the door with the shoes to his mother, who's waiting in the car, smoking a cigarette:
"What took you so long? Here, let's see 'em ... What, these are the best you could find?! Pumps! I told you pumps! These are heels! I can't wear these, they make my feet hurt, you stupid brat! You better get it right at the next store. And would it kill you to cry a little? See if you can get someone to give you some cash, too. Mama can't buy lottery tickets with shoes."
And my question is, does this make me a bad person?"
And that to me, is Christmas spirit.
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your a terrible person, Lani! That's funny though!
-Bethany
LOL... You are too funny. I'm glad that you liked your Christmas CD and didn't hate any of the songs on it :)
blog more hoser.
Post a Comment