Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jazz in SLC


Last night my roommate and I went to the Dave Brubeck Quartet concert at Abravanel Hall. It was so great! I have listened to some really great jazz off-and-on for a few years but haven't ever been proactive in finding live performances. Fortunately for me, Sara knows a whole lot more than I do and is a better 'do-er' than I am also. The show was great - the quartet has been playing since the early 1950's and I don't think they've lost a beat. Dave Brubeck looks sort of like a cross between Charles Schulz and Alan Greenspan (I think someone told me he is turning 87 this year) and he was absolutely rocking out on the piano. The same applies to the other three; I don't think I've ever seen a better drummer and the saxophonist was dancing around during the entire two and a half hour show. It was a great time and a lot of fun, I hope that everyone is still around (read: alive) so that I get to see them play again sometime.