Today I received my unofficial invitation (no pun intended) to get out of Provo - a wedding invitation from a stranger.
Unlike some post-BYU and still single girls, I really like getting announcements for upcoming weddings. It's interesting to see who looks more grown up, who looks younger than when you last saw them. Learning the names of your friends parents who you have never met, noticing whether the chosen font is unique or some unfortunate form of papyrus or lucida handwriting, whether the future newlyweds were instructed on appropriate hand placement in their photo(s) or if they are soon to be submitted here. Overall - I enjoy checking out annoucements and invitations.
After scanning the names of the bride or groom's parents on the return address label this afternoon with no recognition, I opened the envelope and wasn't able to recognize either names OR faces of the betrothed. What? The name of the girl is really different, there's no way that I would simply forget or get her confused with any run-of-the-mill named girls I have met here in the last 3 years. The guy is unfamiliar - I am certain that we've never met, and boys send out fewer announcements to their platonic friends in the first place .
So there it sits on the bookcase, the possible addition to the already crowded refrigerator, primed for a congratulatory card and gift (but not attendance to the reception, obviously.)
I've officially been bested on this one - Provo has won, I daresay. I've met enough people, been in enough wards, and attended enough parties. I'm tired. And worse, I'm curious.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ha ha. I love that story. I think you should go to the wedding and ask them how they know you. YOu are little Ms. Popular :)
Love the post. You should totally check out the wedding and I will attend as your wingman, or wing woman. Whatever, could be funny.
Who is it?? I need to know...
Lani if you ever get on here and check your blog *which you need to post on by the way... I am home this weekend right now actually. I know it isn't techniquelly (sorry about the spelling its 2 am) the weekend yet but I am here until sunday. My sister Heidi is coming home! give me a call though if you are around.
Please update for the love of all things holy! SHEEEEEEESH!
I must agree with Sarah, where are the updates??
Where?
Post a Comment